We want to help families navigate the world of raising a special needs child and ensure the successful future of their special needs adult. We help people make connections in a way that is comfortable, respectful, practical and sustainable, bringing volunteers and families together. We do this primarily through Respite Care events.
Respite Care Events
Family Support Services offers respite services for families raising children with developmental disabilities. People with special needs who live at home with their families receive personalized invitations to theme-based activities and monthly events designed to provide a few hours of respite to caregivers. Pre-registration is required; a $10 fee per person is charged for each event. Scholarships are available for those that qualify and each family must have an enrollment form on file prior to the event.
For more information, contact Paula Teiken.
Additional Helpful Resources for Families
- Laura Baker Services Resource Directory
- Individual Housing Options
- New Rules, New Tools
- Understanding Federal Housing Reform
- A Guidebook to Consumer Controlled Housing
- Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities: Survey of Attitudes
- MinnesotaHelp.info Disability Link
- Minnesota DHS, Disability Services
- Minnesota DHS, Disability Services, Web Resources
- Minnesota Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities
- The Arc of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Institute on Community Integration